Recap of 2020: a rollercoaster of a year

Most agree that 2021 is a welcome change after one of the most difficult years our world has ever seen. Photo courtesy of theguardian.com.

Maddie Rich, Reporter

The year 2020 brought tragedy and illness for some, isolation for many, triumph for others, and isolation and inconvenience for all. There were new trends and major historical events. Here is a brief recap of this past year:

In 2020, we mourned the loss of big names in Hollywood, music, sports, and government. Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna, died in a helicopter crash with seven other victims. Chadwick Boseman passed away after a secret four-year battle with colon cancer. Eddie Van Halen died after a lengthy battle with throat and tongue cancer. Ruth Bader Ginsburg died from pancreatic cancer after having different types of cancer for more than two decades. These were just a few of the public losses our country shared.

While we lost well-known people, we also lost over one million people globally as a result of the coronavirus. There have been over 85 million cases and the number is growing. Young people are often told that they will remember this time for the rest of their lives. There has been a divide over whether and when we should wear masks, whether students should return to school, and even whether or not the coronavirus is real and whether it is the primary cause for the record number of deaths. 

As well as this divide over safety precautions in the pandemic, there was a large political divide last year. Because it was an election year, tensions were high between political parties. 2020 was no stranger to historically significant political events. Congress attempted to impeach Donald Trump on charges of abuse of power, However, the Senate ultimately acquitted him. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris had a historic win during the 2020 election.Though they will still need to wait for recounts and lawsuits from Donald Trump, Biden and Harris were declared the winners, bringing a few presidential firsts to the White House. Kamala Harris will be the first female vice president, the first black vice president, and the first Indian vice president. Her husband, Doug Emhoff, will be the first second gentleman. 

With these divides come people who are dedicated to fixing them. In late May, George Floyd was murdered by a cop who put his knee on his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds. This sparked a major movement to fight police brutality. Floyd’s name, along with others, such as Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery, were used in this fight for equality. All generations participated in these protests. 

Along with tragedy and death caused by man, there were plenty of natural disasters. In California, a deadly wildfire was started at a gender reveal party. Six major hurricanes hit the Southeast coast. There were over 1000 tornadoes in the United States.

In spite of all of this, 2020 was not all bad. Multiple vaccines were developed for COVID-19. We became more appreciative of our healthcare professionals. Many of us found a new hobby that we love or discovered old ones. Small businesses were lifted up by their communities and received their support. There was an increase of 12.9% in voter turnout since the last presidential election. The Supreme Court ruled that people cannot be fired based on their sexuality or gender. Protests brought a start to police reform, which is ongoing. Mississippi replaced the confederate symbol on their flag with a magnolia blossom. Carbon emissions declined due to less people on the roads suring quarantines.

While it’s important that we take the struggles of 2020 seriously, we must also remember there is still good in this world. Here’s to a successful, brighter 2021!