Being mindful of your mental health

Maddie Rich, Reporter

Creating a to-do list is one of many ways to avoid getting overwhelmed.
Photo provided by mytimemanagement.com

The coronavirus pandemic has changed almost every aspect of daily life. Most schools have moved to a virtual learning plan, including Highland High School. While some students are able to seamlessly adjust to the change, others may be having a difficult time doing so. Taking care of your mental health can play a huge role in making an easier transition into this altered way of life. 

It can be hard to know when you need to just pause and take a break. Ms. Rose Vis, guidance counselor, said, “I think a good clue is if you start to feel anxious, you can’t stay focused, can’t stay engaged, or if you start to read the same sentence over and over and are still not understanding it, then you might need to take a mental break.”

Ms. Amy Vezmar, guidance counselor suggested that you take breaks in between your work. “You’re actually more productive if you work for about an hour and take a ten minute walk or get something to drink and just take care of your body for a minute and then go back to your work.”

Virtual learning can be very overwhelming with all of the google meets and emails.The guidance department has been putting out videos on google classroom to advise students on “Overcoming the Overwhelm”. You can find these incredibly helpful videos on your respective guidance Google Classroom.

Ms. Anne Lemon, guidance counselor, added that “[virtual learning] is kind of the new normal so realizing that things may look a little different and what worked for you in the past may not work for you in the current situation so you may have to adjust, this can help you avoid getting overwhelmed.”

Students may notice their peers being negatively affected by the isolation that comes with virtual learning. It can be challenging to know how to help others when you are in a similar situation as them. Ms. Amy Vezmar noted that encouraging healthy self-talk in yourself and in your peers can help yourself and others to find a different, more positive, perspective on the obstacles that come along with virtual learning.

If you are still struggling with your mental health because of school, or you just need someone to talk to, you can email your respective guidance counselor for help.