Changes in marching season

Highland Marching Trojan Pride’s seniors: Carinne Walter, Andrea Roldan, Evelyn Roldan, Montana Handley, Kailyn Butler, Alessandra Gonzales, and Adalia Alston. Photo by Highland Band Boosters

Jackson Hayes, Reporter

With the coronavirus still being a big problem, schools have had to change a lot of things to ensure their student’s safety. Highland High School decided to do online learning for their first quarter, but still have sports and extracurricular activities. Many students were happy to hear that there would be a marching season. 

Miranda Key, grade 11, said, “I was really happy because I thought for the longest that we weren’t going to have anything.”

“Considering it’s my last year, I was happy,” said Carinne Walter, grade 12.

Since the coronavirus is a big concern, the band has done everything in its power to make sure that everyone is safe. 

Brian Blocker, the middle school and high school band director, said, “We have been outside 100% of the time and wearing masks anytime we’re not actively playing, but if somebody we’re to test positive we would follow the same protocols as athletics and that would start with notifying parents that we have a positive test and other students. So, we would work with our administration.”

Since there is the possibility of someone getting sick they made a lot of changes to make sure everyone is safe.

“Last year we were all able to get close to each other and talk to each other without having masks on. Band camp was also 8 hours and this year it was only 3,” said Emily Burris, grade 10.

“This season is really different from the others. This season instead of me being in Pitt like previously, I am on the field marching with my wind instrument, we wear masks every single minute that we’re not playing, and we don’t have a drum major set right now. There’s a lot of things that we would have set by May not done or we’re just not doing,” said Carinne Walter, grade 12.

This marching season brings a lot of new changes for the marching band. They are adapting to these changes to make sure they can have yet another successful season.