Wrestler Sam Perez Represents Highland High School in State Finals

James Rhoten, Organizational Editor

Senior Sam Perez encompasses many things a leader should be, but above all, Perez leads by example. Throughout his wrestling career, Perez finishes having won 117 matches. Perez qualified for Semi-state twice, but this year he got the chance to head to Bankers Life Fieldhouse and compete in the IHSAA 2020 State Finals. 

Perez wrestled in the 285 pound weight class, and finished the regular season 27-6. He reached the 100 wins milestone this year, and had his eyes set on state. After reaching Semi-state, he punched his ticket to the IHSAA State Finals. 

“It felt great being the first wrestler in awhile (to make it to state). It’s one of the best feelings in the world,” said Perez.

Perez wrestled Western Panthers junior Brayden Erb, who had a regular season record of 44-5. Erb wrestled at 220 last season, and this is his first year reaching state wrestling at 285.

Perez battled Erb in hopes of advancing further into the State tourney, however Erb beat Perez and ended his Highland wrestling career. 

Wrestling for Highland taught Perez many things. “It taught me how to keep composure under stress and pressure. Especially at state you really need to try and keep calm,” Perez said.

Perez will be remembered as one of the best wrestlers in Highland High School history, and his accomplishments in wrestling will never be forgotten.