Performance boosting via hydration

Back to Article
Back to Article

Performance boosting via hydration

Choosing water over other drinks.

Choosing water over other drinks.

Edit by Logan Brock

Choosing water over other drinks.

Edit by Logan Brock

Edit by Logan Brock

Choosing water over other drinks.

Logan Brock, Writer

No matter one’s mental fortitude, we are only human. Our bodies are mostly made up of water and require constant replenishment to work at their peak performance both mentally and physically. Unfortunately, this replenishment is often dismissed by students without them even realizing it.

According to advocate professor Brenda Davy, “Traditionally a 2% or more body water deficit was thought to produce cognitive performance decrements; however, recent literature suggests that even mild dehydration – a body water loss of 1–2% – can impair cognitive performance.”

Therefore, those that take their studies seriously should be staying at optimal hydration status at all times to enhance performance. This is especially important during finals week because it is often a very mentally straining week of the year.

The question could be presented on what the best way to hydrate is. The answer is simple: drink regular, plain water.

Students often find themselves craving sweet or energizing beverages to have throughout the school day. Some even heavily rely on caffeine to push them through the say and keep them focused.

While these delectable drinks may provide a temporary quenching of thirst or a quick energy boost, they are not something to rely on. They have empty calories and sugars rather than minerals; coffee, for example, actually dehydrates you.

These factors in other drinks, no matter how satisfactory they might seem, often end up leaving you feeling less satisfied than if you had stuck with water. Water provides a consistent healthy boost to your mind and body.

If you care what enters your body, put down the Kickstart and pick up a nice refreshing bottle of water.