Sticky traps provide inhumane results

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sticky traps provide inhumane results

Sticky traps can be found in nearly every classroom.

Betty Huang

Betty Huang

Betty Huang

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

We’ve all seen them. They’re all over the school. Sticky traps are glue-covered cardboard pads that are used to catch the furry pests that have made a home in our building. Although the traps have been successful in catching mice, it’s far from humane. The mice infestation is definitely a problem here, but better, more humane, steps could be taken to resolve this issue.

It’s fairly easy for a mouse to get stuck on a sticky trap. With one step on it, they’re automatically stuck. Their fur bonds with the glue and there is no escape. The mouse must be confused and scared, wondering why they can’t move. Then comes the struggling. The mouse isn’t just going to sit there and await a rescue; they’re going to try to find a way to escape. They violently thrash around and try to break free. Often mice chew off their own limbs to escape.

How can we consider glue traps humane? These mice are suffering. Getting stuck on one of these traps is not going to offer a quick, painless death, but instead, a long, agonizing one.

Not only are glue traps horrible for mice, but they’re a pain for students, too. I have seen plenty of people accidentally step on the flat traps. I actually dropped one of my wireless earbuds on one-thank goodness it was new and clean-, but it was disgusting, nevertheless.

Our school uses sticky traps inside classrooms. If we also used them outside the perimeter of the building, other animals could fall victim to the deadly glue. According to peta2.com, many sticky trap users have often found small animals, such as birds, squirrels, frogs, salamanders, etc., on their glue traps outside. Most of these animals don’t survive, despite rescue attempts.

I’ve seen my fair share of mice in this school, and it’s not a pleasant sight, but these furry creatures don’t deserve pain. I specifically remember my freshman year, when the mice infestation was especially bad, that I saw a LIVE mouse on a sticky trap during Spanish class. It was flailing around and scared out of its mind. The teacher took it (still on the trap) outside, but I knew what it’s fate was.

As a huge animal lover, seeing this sort of thing horrifies me. I knew it was a wild mouse, which probably carried some sort of disease, but no living thing should have to go through this. I was genuinely saddened, and wanted so much to help save the little guy.

Seeing dead mice on these traps is almost a daily occurance now. Every mouse still affects me the same way; no death is easier than the other. However, the deaths can stop now.

There are many other alternatives to sticky traps that are more humane. Live mouse traps can be found on Amazon for roughly five dollars each. Although it could be pricey to accommodate every classroom, these traps are reusable and HUMANE; the mice can be taken outside and released, meaning no more dead mice! It will also be more cost effective in the long run, because you do not need to constantly replace these types of traps, compared to sticky traps, which need to be replaced once used.

Where would the live mice go, though? Although it may not be a popular idea, the right thing to do is for someone to let them go in a field, away from our school. This way, the mice don’t end up back in the building and they’re able to live their lives outside, away from the harm of mouse traps. But who has time every day (sometimes multiple times per day) to do that? There really is no easy answer.