Solving the problem with today’s school dances

Stock+image+of+a+school+dance.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Stock image of a school dance.

Stock image of a school dance.

Photo provided by Howe Eventful Dj Entertainment

Stock image of a school dance.

Stock image of a school dance.

Logan Brock, Writer

School dances have been around as long as anyone reading this has been alive or can remember. The first school dance was in 1879 at Harvard Crimson University and marked the first prom in history.

This style of event eventually spread to high schools around the world and laid the groundwork for the dances we attend to this day.

Over the many decades that homecomings, turnabouts, and promenades have been thrown, there have been many changes to these dances, but the one thing that remains the same is the presence of music at these dances.

As music and dance have evolved over the years, so has the music played at these said dances.

One part of music, however, has continued to remain fairly static. This is in reference to the music that is played at dances, specifically school dances.

The ‘Cupid Shuffle’ and The ‘Cha-Cha Slide,’ for instance, are essentials for any dance playlist. These songs are unfortunately the extent to which most people actually know how to dance to.

Some of my peers, however, actually know how to properly swing, slow, and line dance to a large variety of songs; this is not the case, however, for the majority of students. The playlists used at dances should conform to the limitations of the majority of the student body being unable to dance.

Complaints about the playlists being used at dances are relevant because there is little true interaction between attendees and the music being played.

A possible solution to this could be to incorporate teaching dance in the physical education or home economics curriculum. This way freshmen can learn to dance early into their years at high school, preparing them for dances and teaching how to dance respectfully.

Due to the unlikelihood of this ever being implemented, there is a secondary solution. This solution is in the hands of you, the student reading this editorial, to learn to dance yourself.

YouTube has plenty of tutorials available for those that are interested in educating themselves in this long lost art form. Plus, nothing is more suave than asking your crush to learn to dance with you; it’s a fantastic excuse to hang out. 

The playlists at dances could be utilized to their highest extent if students knew how to dance to the music properly. This is a call to action for those that want to make the most out of their limited time in high school and have the best time possible at our school dances.