Administration brings benches back to commons

The+new+benches+will+be+the+the+same+size%2C+eight+feet%2C+as+the+park+benches+that+are+currently+in+the+commons.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The new benches will be the the same size, eight feet, as the park benches that are currently in the commons.

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark, Editor-in-Chief

It started with a prank. The rest of the carpeted benches were removed from the commons, right after the senior prank was pulled. Plans to remove them were already in the works, according to high school administration, but the removal timetable seemed to some as if it was moved up. The benches disappeared immediately after stolen classroom clocks were found hidden underneath the carpeted benches.

These benches have yet to be replaced, causing overcrowding in the cafeteria as kids struggle more than ever to find places to eat with even more limited available places to sit. This won’t be an issue for long,though: new benches have been ordered.

Principal Dr. Patrick Weil said new benches were ordered three weeks ago and are being custom made.

The new benches will be eight feet long.

“What we are going to do is replace all of the benches, including the ones we bought last year, and the recycled one. We are going to trade those out and put those outside in the courtyard,” said Weil.

The benches will be paid for with funds left over from the construction bond that was used for the renovations.

Weil said, “We had 3,000 or 4,000 left over from the construction funds.”

Students fantasized about their ideas for ideal benches for the commons.

Senior Mark DeLeon said, “I would like them to look like the other (carpeted) ones we used to have. Those were both comfortable to sit on and had plenty of space for everyone.”

“(I would like the benches to look) just like the old ones, but nicer and newer with no backs because (having backs on them) would make less room,” said senior Katy Bedka.

Students interviewed wanted the new benches to be like the fabric benches that were taken away.

“I would like about 20 people to be able to fit on the benches like our old benches,” said senior Morgan Rinkema.

The new benches will be metal that is coated with plastic, and will reflect our school colors.

“I am excited to get rid of the nasty benches,” Weil said. “They are a health hazard, and people stood on them and ate on them. It was time for them to go.”