Elected officials bringing trouble

Some+members+of+Congress+have+not+elected+to+keeping+themselves+out+of+trouble.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Elected officials bringing trouble

Some members of Congress have not elected to keeping themselves out of trouble.

Photo provided by Bill Dickinson from Getty Images

Christian Moore, Writer

Recently, there have been a number of government officials that have fallen under controversy due to the statements, social media posts and decisions they have made. Many of the actions these officials have taken also have stirred up trouble among their constituents and the rest of the country.

Photo provided by Kerem Yucel from Getty Images
Omar has come under controversy for certain declarations and tweets.

Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN) is one of a number of new officials elected to the House of Representatives, and yet someone so new is already stirring up trouble. Some of Omar’s tweets have come under scrutiny, and she has been accused of making anti-semitic and offensive remarks, such as tweeting, “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel” along with expressing sentiments aligned with Muslim Sharia Law, such as the support of practices like female genital mutilation. Omar also supported benefits being given to the families of suicide bombers, as she opposed a bill that would stop those benefits being given. When someone commits suicide, the insurance policies on them are voided, so people might find it odd that she supports the families of criminals and killers getting money for what their deceased family members had done.

Photo provided by Mario Tama from Getty Images
Ocasio-Cortez has put herself well into the public eye, for better or for worse.

The newcomers to the House of Representatives have not done well in keeping their efforts out of the scrutiny and criticism of the public. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is, like Omar, new to the House and has also come under fire for her statements. Ocasio-Cortez has become the target of much scorn and criticism online; many regard her statements as hypocritical and/or generally unrealistic, and even unintelligent. If her statements weren’t enough, the Green New Deal she proposed would involve rebuilding or destroying every major U.S. building, eliminating the use of airplanes and a number of other provisions that would cost trillions of dollars.

Photo provided by Alex Wong from Getty Images
Ellison has faced allegations of abuse from a past girlfriend, the results of which may be shocking.

History has shown that the normal reaction from the public when people accuse others of abuse follows one pattern: everyone accepts the accuser’s statement as truth without any formal hearing or trial even taking place, and the accused is often completely demonized and loses their job along with much of their credibility. However, even in the wake of movements like #MeToo, when now Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison (D-MN) was accused by his girlfriend Karen Monahan, the tables turned. Even with doctor’s reports, visible bruises and her testimony, Monahan was viciously attacked for her accusations. Everything seemed to suspiciously bounce off of Ellison as he worked his way into the position of Attorney General. Monahan accused him of physical and verbal abuse, claiming he dragged her off a bed and beat her as she was tossed about the room. This all begs the question: how have people in the past had their reputations destroyed even with minimal evidence from a baseless accusation while Ellison has a mountain of proof against him and has stayed in office?

From antisemitism, to hypocrisy and unrealistic ideas, to abuse, the allegations surrounding each of these officials should have many people, especially their constituents, asking why they or their neighbors have voted these people into office. For the people who don’t live in these districts, the controversy surrounding them should serve as a warning of who to watch for in the next midterm election.