Dance team competes at state

The+team+ran+through+the+dance%2C+making+sure+to+perfect+their+turns+and+tricks.+After+this%2C+they+went+on+deck+and+waited+to+be+called+on+stage+to+perform.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Dance team competes at state

The team ran through the dance, making sure to perfect their turns and tricks. After this, they went on deck and waited to be called on stage to perform.

Ashley Gomez

Ashley Gomez

Ashley Gomez

Ashley Gomez, Writer

Ashley Gomez
On March 9th 2019, the Sapphires dance team went to state. They chose to stay in a hotel the night before because they had to be at the competition at 9:45 A.M EST.

Ashley Gomez
The dance team calmed their nerves by partaking in mindfulness which was led by their coach Jillian Dudek.

Ashley Gomez
Their first dance was pom. It was at 11:47 am. They headed to their assigned room when they got to Jefferson High School in order to stretch and do last minute changes. They then headed to the warmup and stretch room. They stretched for a few minutes while another team practiced their dance.

Ashley Gomez
They then went back to their team room to prepare for their hip hop dance, which was scheduled at 2:17 pm. They went through the same process as they did for their poms dance.

Ashley Gomez
Before finding out what they placed, they went out to celebrate with their families. According to Dudek, in AA Pom, they got seventh place. In AA Hip Hop, they placed sixth with a score of 75.36; they missed placing fifth by a quarter of a point. All teams in these categories were within five points of each other.

Ashley Gomez
Not only was State the last competition of the season, but it was the senior’s,Paige Gora, Kiara Robinson,and Makenzie Marwitz, last competition in high school.

Ashley Gomez
“It’s a bittersweet (moment) because it is what I have been doing for the past three to four years, and it is going to be a weird life change,” said senior Paige Gora.

Ashley Gomez
“It’s a bittersweet moment because I’ve grown with the team and it has become a big part of my life,” said senior Kiara Robinson.

Ashley Gomez
“Knowing that today is my last competition is sad. It makes me kind of proud, (though, knowing) that all the hard work that we have done for 11 months paid off. It’s going to be hard for me to not have the routine of practicing almost every week to just going straight home,” said senior Makenzie Marwitz.