Fundraiser policy stops students from getting sweets

Back to Article
Back to Article

Key Club spent time organizing and making sure all the crush cans looked correct and got to the right people.

Photo by Ashley Gomez

Photo by Ashley Gomez

Photo by Ashley Gomez

Ashley Gomez, Writer

Chocolate roses, a crush for your crush, a bake sale, and Muffin Friday’s were all fundraisers going on, but two of these fundraisers violated the Fundraiser and Smart Food Policy.

According to the Fundraiser and Smart Food Policy, “When the fundraiser includes the sale of food items that do not meet the standards, for example, a doughnut or a candy bar, the fundraiser must be considered an approved exempt fundraiser in ordinance accordance with the state agency.”

“Public schools in the State of Indiana are subject to laws and rules that govern the solicitation of funds from outside organizations and  patrons from the community,” said principal Dr. Patrick Weil.

All fundraisers approved must send in a purchase order and a fundraiser form to be approved Dr. Weil.

The recent Best Buddies bake sale actually violated this code.

On February 15th, Muffin Friday, science teacher Daniel Richardson announced that the golf teams will no longer be selling muffins, hot chocolate, and coffee to students because all three of those items violate the policy.

National Honor Society (NHS) sold chocolate roses and candy grams and delivered them on Valentine’s Day during seventh hour. They were not in any violation, though, because of when the items were distributed to students.

“The kids are technically sending a card to their friends, which also happens to have something sweet attach to it. We pass them out seventh hour because teachers are supposed to pass that stuff out right before the end of the school day,” said NHS sponsor Brittney Delariva.  

Key Club sold Crush soda cans, which were also not in violation because of the same reason NHS’ fundraiser was not.

“(The Key Club board and I) didn’t think it was going to get approved since NHS requested a fundraiser before us, but we figured we should go for it. We thought a drink and candy would be a nice combination. It did get approved, so we were really happy!” said Key Club President Abby Acres.

When it comes selling fundraisers, during school hours, there were many different opinions.

“I like it because it is supporting Best Buddies, and it is nice to support other people,” said freshman Taylor Collins.

“I kind of think it is a good thing, but at the same time it is a waste of time because the school’s organizations have to spend money in order to sell these things for half of what they’re even worth. The spending outweighs the proceeds being given away,” said senior Brianna Loudermilk.