Ariana Grande lays it bare in ‘thank u, next’ album

Ariana+Grande+surprised+fans+with+yet+another+music+video+with+the+release+of+her+album+%E2%80%98thank+u%2C+next.%E2%80%99+The+album+is+a+reflection+of+her+enlightenment+of+self-love+and+acceptance.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Ariana Grande surprised fans with yet another music video with the release of her album ‘thank u, next.’ The album is a reflection of her enlightenment of self-love and acceptance.

Photo provided by itunes.apple.com

Photo provided by itunes.apple.com

Photo provided by itunes.apple.com

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Ariana Grande made another 11pm CST drop this Thursday, but this time with the much anticipated ‘thank u, next’ album.

The album features 12 tracks, three of which have already been previously released within the six months since Grande’s last album ‘Sweetener.’

Track number 12, ‘break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored,’ was accompanied with a music video, which was also released at 11pm on YouTube.

All of the songs in ‘thank u, next,’ including the album title, trademark no capitalized letters (except for the song ‘NASA’), something fans have been seeing since ‘Sweetener.’

Photo provided by eonline.com
The official tracklist for ‘thank u, next’ was released on Grande’s Instagram on January 22nd.

Multiple songs included in ‘thank u, next’ begin with a short narrative. ‘NASA’ features the lines “This is one small step for woman, One giant leap for woman-kind.” Grande continues to advocate women empowerment in her albums such as she did in ‘God is a woman,’ released in the ‘Sweetener’ album.

‘in my head’ includes what seems to be a voicemail snippet in the intro.

Doug Middlebrook, one of Grande’s closest friends, says, “Here’s the thing: you’re in love with a version of a person that you’ve created in your head, that you are trying to but cannot fix. Uh, the only thing you can fix is yourself. I love you, this has gone on way too long. Enough is enough. I’m two blocks away. I’m coming over.”

According to a tweet from Grande earlier this week, Middlebrook helped her through some hard times and it only seemed appropriate to commemorate him in ‘thank u, next.’ ‘in my head’ is, according to Grande’s tweet, his favorite song from the album.

‘bloodline’ includes another snippet, this one spoken by Marjorie Grande (aka Nonna), the singer’s grandmother.

Marjorie says, “Because I’m trying to do the best I can. And they can’t find something to satisfy me. Look.” It is followed by the signature Ariana Grande laugh.

The intro basically breaks down what this bop is all about: nobody is going to deliver what the girl needs, so she’s better off alone.

A personal favorite of mine off of ‘thank u, next’ is ‘fake smile.’ The song, filled with bass, begins with an oldies vibe, the grainy sound representing the song being played on a record player, with the lyrics “After laughter comes tears, After laughter comes tears.” The lyrics convey that Grande isn’t okay, and it’s okay to not be okay.

‘thank u, next’ speaks of empowerment and growth. After a long stretch of personal struggles, including the bombing at her Manchester concert, Mac Miller’s death and her split with Pete Davidson, Grande has channeled all of her energy, both negative and positive, into creating what she loves: good music with powerful lyrics.

Although Grande includes heartbreaking ballads in her album such as ‘imagine’ and ‘ghostin,’ she also makes sure to establish a sense of vibrancy in songs such as ‘7 rings’ and ‘break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored.’

Tremendous growth can be seen throughout Grande’s life within the past two years, but she isn’t in a hurry to grow up. She advocates indulging, making yourself happy in any way possible; she makes her own happiness a priority.

This album gives listeners a sense of who Grande is becoming. She embraces her strengths and flaws equally, which makes her a powerful woman.

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Betty Huang is The Trojan Tribune's Assistant Editor-in-Chief. She has been writing for Highland's online student publication for three years. Betty is...