Students offer technological advice

Video by the Tech Mentor class

Ashley Gomez, Writer

This year students will be helping the teachers with their iPads and MacBooks. This new class teaches students how to help the teachers and students use their iPads and make books to their advantages.

In 2016, Apple learning specialist Tracie Mezera-Juarez was sent to an Apple training event in Austin, Texas by Highland High School. On that trip she learned a great deal about iPads and Macs, and she came back with new ideas. Those ideas formed into a class. The class official name is career information for the first semester and career internships for second semester.

“In the first semester, we work a lot on customer service scenarios, how we want to act around people, greeting them as they come in for help, and how we handle frustrated customers,” said Mezera-Juarez.

They do projects with every type of program on the iPads during first semester and a project won’t every program on the MacBooks in the  second semester.

The class goes on field trips to the Apple store in Chicago and has eight drones they can use.

“The class is very fun and you learn a lot of stuff about the iPad and the Mac. We even took a field trip to the apple store in Chicago. It’s a really fun class,”said freshman Sophia Petersen.

The class also controls the TVs in the cafeteria. The class currently has ten people in it and Mezera-Juarez wants to keep the class small.

Many students feel comfortable asking students from the class for help.

“Kids know a lot about technology and they’d be able to help if I couldn’t figure it out,” said freshman Taylor Collins.

Senior Kayla Polen said, “They’ve been learning and becoming experts on technological issues, so I would feel extremely comfortable going to ask them for help.”

“If the iPad goes through changes and acts up, the office won’t know what to do and you need someone who knows what they’re doing to solve the issue,”said senior Valerie Brunt.