Michaela Schmidt shooting to achieve goals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Michaela Schmidt will start at IUN in the fall.

Photo by Ariel Cassell

Photo by Ariel Cassell

Photo by Ariel Cassell

Ariel Cassell, Writer

Senior Michaela Schmidt is now the third girl on Highland High School’s girls’ basketball team to score 1,000 points. She achieved this goal in a game against Hammond High School in the beginning of January. Reaching this goal was a very proud moment in Schmidt’s life, because she had been working to achieve it for long time, and now she finally has.

Schmidt has been playing basketball for many years, and is going to continue to play in college. Other than her involvement in sports she is also involved in several extracurricular activities. These activities include: National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Student Council, and the Athletic Leadership Committee. These activities have taught her a great deal of life lessons such as responsibility, leadership, and how to balance her time between sports, extracurriculars, and her school.

Schmidt believes that a good student and athlete needs to be able to “balance their time between playing sports and studying, and focusing on their grades.”

By her sticking to these lessons, she was also able to get a scholarship to go to Indiana University Northwest. There she will major in nursing to become a pediatric nurse practitioner. While she is at IUN, she continue to play basketball.

The advice she gives to younger students who want to be athletes also is “to make sure you take your grades extremely seriously. That’s another reason why I ended up getting the amount of money I did for college was because I took my grades seriously and I focused, and I got good grades.”