Homework: helpful for some, waste of time for others

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students are often assigned homework from most, if not all, of their classes each day.

Photo by Betty Huang

Photo by Betty Huang

Photo by Betty Huang

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Most students have six or seven classes a day, with teachers who often assign homework every night.

Sometimes the work can take five minutes to complete; other assignments take hours.

After being in school for seven hours, there may not be enough time after school to complete more work. Many students go straight to extracurricular clubs or sports, part-time jobs, or have family obligations. Since students are at school for such a large chunk of their days, is it really necessary for teachers to send them home with more work?

In 2016, a photo surfaced on Facebook, posted by second grade teacher Brandy Young. She decided to “try something new” and not assign homework to her students. She encouraged parents to interact with their children with activities when they came home after school, instead of sitting down with worksheets.

Two years later, Young is still practicing her no homework policy, but has made some changes. She claims that some of her students want homework for extra practice that parents may not be able to give them.

According to an article on today.com, superintendent Dr. Heidi Maier in Marion County, Florida, banned homework from all 31 elementary schools in her district.

There are not many publicized cases of schools that have implemented schoolwide no-homework policies, but the numbers are rising, primarily in elementary schools. This may be because younger children rely on their parents’ help and spend more time with them; teens and young adults spend more time with friends.

Teachers are asking their younger students to interact more with parents, and are assigning less homework.

Is homework worth all the stress and time spent doing it? While it has become quite normal to have homework, some still struggle to find the motivation or time to pick up that pencil to finish those last math problems or type on the iPad to finish the last few pages of an essay.

Our brains are tired. Coming home should be time to relax, but relaxation doesn’t come unless homework is over and done with for most kids.

For students who work, are involved with clubs and sports, or have chores at home, homework is pushed back even further into the evening. Once students finally get to the dreaded schoolwork, it may be very late at night before students get to bed, resulting in exhaustion that makes focusing and learning more difficult the next day at school.

Most students don’t really pay much attention to what they are learning from homework in the first place. Many just do it to get it done, and by the time they finish, they forget what it was even about.

Although homework may provide practice, it shouldn’t be required nightly for students. Yes, it encourages students to learn material, but if students are not paying much attention to the work they’re doing, it’s a waste of time.

Many students disregard homework or fail to turn it in, resulting in lower grades, even when they know the material.

Homework could be optional for the students who would like extra practice, but assigning it to everyone may not improve learning for all students. For those who have bad grades and choose not to try, there’s only so much a teacher can do. You can not force someone to be successful if they don’t have that drive.

Don’t get me wrong, homework isn’t the worst thing in the world, but it is definitely time consuming and can be very tedious.

I strive to complete all of my homework on time, but I can’t say that it helps me that much. I still have to study before quizzes and tests, no matter how much other homework is assigned.

Occasional homework can be beneficial, but having it every night just takes away from family time and sleep, and adds to my already overflowing bucket of stress.

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Betty Huang is The Trojan Tribune's Assistant Editor-in-Chief. She has been writing for Highland's online student publication for three years. Betty is...