School should strengthen bullying policy

Back to Article
Back to Article

This sign from the middle school helps express that there are many students who want bullying to stop and be controlled better.

Photo by Ashley Gomez

Photo by Ashley Gomez

Photo by Ashley Gomez

Ashley Gomez, Writer

There are four types of bullying: physical, cyber, verbal, and relational.

Physical bullying is when physical contact occurs against another person. It can be fighting shoving, hitting, stealing, or destroying property. People who experience this are often sad and very antisocial.  

Cyberbullying is a type of bullying that occurs on social media and digital messages. It is the most popular type of bullying. About ten percent of high school students report that they were cyberbullied or are being cyberbullied according to bullyingstatistics.com.

Verbal bullying is when you hear hurtful words from a bully repeatedly. Bullies use this type of bullying to make themselves feel like they have power. This is often the most unnoticeable type of bullying because the victim tends to act like they are fine when in reality they are not.

Relational bullying is when someone in your family is bullying you. It could be a sibling, parent, or another family member. These people tend to lash out at those younger or at the same age as them. Some example are writing terrible letters, telling secrets, and making threats. 96 percent of adults do not notice this type of bullying.

Bullying in schools is a major problem. According to bullyingstatistics.org, every one in four kids are bullied in school. The worst part is that 85 percent of it goes unnoticed by adults. Since so many kids are afraid of telling an adult in fear that it would get worse or just don’t know who to tell the policies in place don’t really help the students.Often times these policies are enforced wit a detention or a suspension, but this is not going to make someone stop hurting another. In order to stop bullying, the advisor need to really figure out what is causing the person to bully. In most cases, bullies are bullied at home or have been bullied by another person earlier on in their life. They bully others in order to let their own emotions out. If we address these issues, maybe we can solve the problem of bullying.

Overall, the policy has never really done anything at all to stop people from being horrible to others. If you tell on them, which people rarely do, they tend to become more aggressive and mean because they blame you for their consequences. The policy in place should become more influential. If you tell a teacher they should be required to email an assistant principal and make sure the situation is handled properly in a timely manner.If the bullying continues than the principal should be contacted right away. If these policies are enforced, the bullying in schools may decrease.

About the Writer
Ashley Gomez, Writer

Ashley Gomez is a junior at Highland High School. She is in Key Club, Science Olympiad, Student Publications, Spanish National Honor Society, and National...

1 Comment

One Response to “School should strengthen bullying policy”

1. Maribeth on October 20th, 2018 8:48 am

Very well said Ashley! I hope your article will make people think.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• School should strengthen bullying policy

Editoral & Opinion

Introverts struggle to show emotions

Editoral & Opinion

Requiring library time

Editoral & Opinion

Country divided by checks and balances

Editoral & Opinion

Students, teachers report injuries due to insufficient salting of HS lots, sidewalks

Editoral & Opinion

‘Leaving Neverland’ starts heated debate

Editoral & Opinion

Why you should take advantage of spring weather

Editoral & Opinion

Don’t give students group projects

Editoral & Opinion

Catholic Church faces scandal

Editoral & Opinion

Birth control pills sent me off deep end

Editoral & Opinion

Seniors come down with senioritis