Paperless schooling becomes challenge for students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Google classroom has been implemented in many school systems in the past few years, including Highland.

Photo credit: flickr.com

Photo credit: flickr.com

Photo credit: flickr.com

Sarah Liden, A & E Editor, Social Media Editor

With each year, Highland has taken one step closer to becoming completely paperless. Although I’ve almost gotten used to becoming completely paperless in a school setting, I still find it difficult, at times, to adjust. I’ve always learned more when I have a pen and paper in hand because that is what I’m used to. Since our school has made the decision to go paperless, big changes have been happening.

Many classes are now opting to swap the usual paper notes in favor of electronic notes passed out through classroom. Personally, I find it difficult to figure out where I stand on this change. On one hand, I find it fantastic that our school is making an effort to not waste as much paper as we normally would, but on the other hand I,  along with many of my fellow classmates, learn more efficiently when we have a good old fashioned notebook in had.

This problem could be solved easily. Teachers could let students turn in assignments on paper, but depending on the assignment and the class for that matter, students must turn in assignments online. Google classroom  does make grading easier for teachers, but as some students will attest, doing online assignments makes it more difficult to learn. Perhaps it’s because typing is faster than writing something down, which doesn’t give the information time to register in your brain since you aren’t looking at it for very long.

In an article written by Annakeara Stinson on elite.com, she quotes psychologist Karin James in which she said, In a study done by researchers at Indiana University, it was found that the parts of the brain that are associated with learning work far better and more actively when someone — even a child who has not yet learned to read or write at all — is asked to reproduce something that is shown to them by doing so in a freehand, written way, as opposed to tracing or typing out what was shown.”

I find myself struggling with this “no paper” policy, especially with math. Although I’ve often struggled with math, I find it even harder when I don’t have the notes on paper with me. There are some classes I find that are completely paperless, such as English, or any other class that requires writing for a long time. Because so many students find themselves struggling with math, I feel like teachers shouldn’t make it even more difficult for students to understand it.

Sarah Liden, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sarah Liden is a senior and a 3rd year staffer. She is also the Arts and Entertainment editor and runs the social media. After high school, she hopes to ...