Seniors receive more time for vaccines

Seniors+are+supposed+to+turn+their+shot+records+into+the+tray+in+the+nurse%E2%80%99s+office.+
Seniors are supposed to turn their shot records into the tray in the nurse’s office.

Skylar Clark, Editor-in-Chief

If seniors do not receive their Meningitis and Hepatitis A vaccines, they risk exclusion from school. This year the deadline for seniors to receive their shots was extended, but why is this?

“The original date that I was given by the new head of our health services was a lot earlier than in the past. We have always had an exclusion date set for the end of September, so when it was realized that the shots weren’t coming in by the original due date of September 5th, we were given an extension for September 24th,” said nurse Anita Gavranic.

According to Gavranic, the school has not had to extend the deadline in the past. This year, however, the deadline was just too early so they decided to extend the deadline.

How can students find out if they need a shot?

Senior Valerie Brunt said, “My parents got a notification from the high school reminding them that I had to get one more shot which was the (third) Hepatitis shot before the school year started.”

“I just knew that I needed two shots, so I went to get them,” said senior Sierra Laviolette.

“(Students) come in (the nurse’s office) and I look in the computer, and then I go into our state registry system. The state of Indiana has a system where doctors are supposed to record shots when they are given in doctor offices, and that is put into a state system so I can check whether shots have been given or not,” said Gavranic.

Not every senior has to have the shot; some students are exempt from it.

Gavranic said, “We have several students for religious reasons (who have not been vaccinated). The parents come in and they sign an exemption form. We also have a couple students who have exemptions, they are called medical exemptions, that their doctors sign because they have a medical condition. They have medical conditions that it wouldn’t be advisable to have the live vaccines.”

However, for students who are not exempt, shot records need to be turned into the nurse’s office by September 24th.

“We have several students, I think we are down to seventy seniors, and they are going to receive a robocall-that’s a telephone call that’s made to homes-so that will be our next method of communication. I have already sent out the letters and the parents do know about the exclusion date,” said Gavranic.