Kaepernick stirs up new conversation among athletes

Colin+Kaepernick+is+the+new+Nike+ad+

Photo is taken from Colin Kaepernick‘s Twitter

Colin Kaepernick is the new Nike ad

Logan Brock, Writer

On September 3rd, Colin Kaepernick went to Twitter with an image of an ad from Nike with the caption “Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. #JustDoIt.” This was posted in order to promote Nike’s 30th anniversary ad campaign.

Kaepernick is a very controversial person due to political stands that he has taken while playing for the San Francisco 49ers in the National Football League. Kaepernick was the first professional football player to kneel during the national anthem around this time of year in 2016.

This was seen to some as disrespectful, but to others it was seen as a revolution for the next step towards the future of America.
“I feel like it was a really smart decision by Nike. It was a risky move, but I feel like it was the right move for them to reach out to younger generations and to point out the problems going on with society,” said sophomore tennis player Jason Merkel.

When asked whether it was politics or for publicity Merkel said, “I think Colin Kaepernick is doing it for political reasons and I feel like Nike’s publicizing it and teaming up with him to get the word out.”

Merkel said, “I will buy Nike more often and I support the brand 100 percent.”

“(Nike) wants to advertise somebody who is doing something that they believe is right. So they’re going to attract a good group and defer a group that disagrees with what Colin Kaepernick is fighting for,” said senior football player Dean Foundos.

Foundos said, “It’s not going to affect me at all. I know there are a lot of people burning and throwing away all their Nike stuff. I wear whatever I have and I’m not going to stop buying Nike for something like that.”

U.S. History teacher David Bedka was interviewed for his expertise on analyzing political and economical changes in the United States.

“I think the decision by Nike to use Colin Kaepernick in their recent ad has really divided people in the country. Many people were outraged when he decided to take a knee during the playing of the national anthem because they feel he is disrespecting the flag, the country, and the troops who fight for our freedom. Others feel that he has every right to express himself, nonviolently, in any way he sees fit,” said Bedka.

On the subject of whether this was political or for publicity Bedka said, “I believe Nike has chosen this recent ad for publicity. Many in Hollywood believe that ‘any news is good news.’ People are talking about Nike more now than ever. Their recent ad may hurt their overall sales for a short while, but their brand is so ingrained in our culture and society that I believe in the long run, their business will eventually return to normal.”

When asked if he supports what Kaepernick is kneeling for Bedka said, “Nike is a business, they can make their own decision. Personally, I would find another way to protest other than kneeling during the anthem. However, he has every right to do so.”