Fans given something sweet in ‘Sweetener’

Ariana+Grande%E2%80%99s+album+%E2%80%98Sweetener%E2%80%99+topped+the+charts+as+the+number+one+album+in+the+United+States.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Ariana Grande’s album ‘Sweetener’ topped the charts as the number one album in the United States.

Photo provided by www.arianagrande.com

Photo provided by www.arianagrande.com

Photo provided by www.arianagrande.com

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Ariana Grande dropped 15 new tracks, her songs showing growth from her past, specifically from her past relationship with Mac Miller who died of an drug overdose on Friday. She hosted an invite-only launch party on the day of the album’s release, August 17, to celebrate her new success. Although ‘Sweetener’ has plenty of popular hits, it held the position of number one album in the U.S. for only the following week after it was released. Numerous albums released earlier in the year by other artists have held the number one spot for weeks on end, Drake’s ‘Scorpion’ holding the number one spot for five weeks.

‘Sweetener’ opens up with ‘raindrops (an angel cried),’ a 37 second long introduction to the melodies that she wrote about “love, happiness, strength, and womanhood.” ‘raindrops (an angel cried)’ is recorded acapella, showing off Grande’s truly angelic voice.

‘pete davidson,’ track number 14 on ‘Sweetener’ has a 1 minute and 13 seconds runtime, presenting a short and sweet message about her soulmate. Grande is currently engaged to comedian Pete Davidson.

Grande’s new album features artists Pharrell Williams in ‘blazed,’ Nicki Minaj in ‘the light is coming,’ and Missy Elliott in ‘borderline.’ ‘blazed’ is an upbeat bop in reference to Grande’s current romance. ‘the light is coming’ repeats the same phrase “the light is coming to give back what the darkness stole”. This track is accompanied with Minaj’s rapping and a man’s voice yelling different phrases. The music video features Grande running around in a dark forest with a ball of light. The lyrics and video could be interpreted as Grande giving her fans “light” when darkness fell after the devastation at her Manchester concert which killed 20 and injured over 500 people.

The first promotional single for ‘Sweetener,’ ‘no tears left to cry,’ was released on April 19, accompanied by a music video which received over 500 million views and 4.7 likes. The video also displayed the entire track list for ‘Sweetner,’ although not in order.

The last of the trio of music videos before ‘Sweetener’ was released is ‘God is a woman,’ which was released on July 13. The songs speaks about woman empowerment and femininity.

‘breathin,’ perhaps one of Grande’s more popular songs on ‘Sweetener’ stole the hearts of her fans. It mimics her iconic style of music, reminding past listeners of her popular single ‘Into You.’ ‘breathin’ is among one of my favorite Grande songs because of its catchy tune and beautiful lyrics.

‘Sweetener,’ although representing another chapter in Grande’s life, has the same recognizable style, along with some new twists, that Grande has made for herself.

Betty Huang, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Betty Huang is The Trojan Tribune's Assistant Editor-in-Chief. She has been writing for Highland's online student publication for three years. Betty is...