Opportunities arise for student artists

The showcase will be mostly performed on the stage, but it is currently crowded with props from past HTC performances.

Photo provided by Sarah Liden.

Photo provided by Sarah Liden.

Sarah Liden, A & E Editor, Social Media Editor

As a student, are you more geared towards the fine arts? Do you wish that art and music classes got more recognition? You may be in luck. Although it is still in the planning stages, the fine arts department has been buzzing with the new idea of  a fine arts showcase.

Not much is known, however, about the showcase since the entire event is still being organized. The idea of the event will be similar to the coffee/lemonade houses that the beginning and advanced theatre classes performed in last year.

Auditorium Director Matthew Domasica said, “It’s really just a way to have another opportunity to perform and for students to showcase their work to people who are interested in seeing it.”

This showcase is not only open to students involved in fine arts classes, it will be open to all. Students in any music or art class will be encouraged but not expected to participate, though extra credit may be offered in specific classes.

Choral Director David Markley said, “I hope [the students and staff] are positive and enthusiastic, and I hope it drums up some support for these organizations so more kids are interested in theatre, choir, orchestra, and band.”

The vision for this event varies for each staff member who is organizing this event, but overall it will be what the title exemplifies: a showcase. The ultimate goal is for this to not be an additional set of talent shows strewn about the semester, but a place in which any student can go on stage and show off their abilities.

Sophomore Victoria Harrington said, “I think it’s very important for people who aren’t members of any after school organizations to have an outlet with no strings attached. Since we only have one talent show, I think showing more people what the performing arts in Highland has to offer would be a great opportunity.”

Freshman Rory Kosior said, “I do think it’s important to have more outlets where students can show their artistic abilities. I personally wouldn’t participate because I’m a bit shy, but if I had to I’d probably sing.”

Organized groups, such as The Remarkables or Not Your Mother’s Improv may also make an appearance.

Art teacher and improv coach Marc Ryser said, “Schedules are going to be the roughest part of this since we’re trying to coordinate the activities of band, choir, orchestra, Highland Theatre Company, Mrs. Arroyo’s theatre classes, my improv team, and the activities of other solo/ensemble people, or small groups. Being able to find times where we don’t already have a concert or play coming up (and) finding a space where we are not going to conflict with something else that’s going on in the school will be tough.”