iPads redefine way students learn

Senior+Isabel+Knipe+uses+her+iPad+to+do+research+for+a+project.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

iPads redefine way students learn

Senior Isabel Knipe uses her iPad to do research for a project.

Photo taken by Skylar Clark.

Photo taken by Skylar Clark.

Photo taken by Skylar Clark.

Skylar Clark, Editor-in-Chief

Now that students have iPads, computer labs are no longer a necessity.

“If all the labs aren’t out yet, they were initially going to be pulled out over the summer, but they will be. There won’t be any more computer labs in school,” said Media Specialist Gary Kilburn.

So what will become of the space previously used as computer labs?

“I have no idea. They may be reverted to classrooms, or they may be put to some other use,” said Kilburn.

Another space that is being updated is the media center, Kilburn said.

“Because we are becoming more digital, the requirements for the spaces (in the media center) are changing, so we have the craft area there, we have the robotics, STEM, we have the third printer that we just got. In the back, we have the green screen studio, which is part of media services, that makes use of student iPads, and on the other side, we have a 55 inch TV that hasn’t been installed yet, but it’s there. Once it gets installed, that will be an area for students to collaborate for projects. The group tables are for that, as well.”

Faculty and students agree: iPads have definitely had an impact on this school, especially the way we teach and learn.

Math teacher Christopher Kozy said, “In my Stats classes, the iPads are the primary way in which I disperse information, assign homework, give tests and quizzes, as well as projects and in class assignments. These classes are completely paper free.”

Students and teachers had mixed emotions about transitioning from using mostly paper to becoming more digital.

History teacher Scott Carlson said, “I have been one of the slower teachers to convert from paper to iPad assignments, but now that I’m getting more comfortable with it, I do appreciate it.”

“I personally hate technology. I’m not really good with it. I enjoy hard copies more,” said senior Faith Taylor.

Senior Christian Moore said, “I think it’s okay, for English classes or classes where you have to write papers. I think that’s fine, but for math classes, I definitely prefer to use paper over an electronic device. I think it just depends on the class.”

Kozy said, “I am all for it. Technology is more and more becoming part of our everyday lives. The school environment should be no different. With all of the programs, apps, and devices, teachers can make teaching more fun than ever before.”

1 Comment

One Response to “iPads redefine way students learn”

1. Jared Pottorf on September 10th, 2018 12:04 pm

What would cause a school to make such a bold decision, as in the choice of discarding the rooms and computers which where offered to us already. We took an item designed for leisure and tried to turn it into something designed for learning. In my opinion, I find this horribly inefficient. Most homes that have a connection to the online world already have a computer, so saying that the iPads are useful because you can take them home to work is pointless. They don’t operate correctly without an internet connection of some kind. It is also much slower to use these devices for long periods of writing compared to computers and their analog keyboards. If the school supplied a Bluetooth keyboard or anything similar to that I would say that this is a good idea. However, the fact that not only have they not done that, they have also removed 80% of the features that make an IPad a useful tool. Essentially making the students rent out an overpriced “book of everything.” Not only that, but they also use the iPad’s as a means for surveillance. This use may seem safe for the students but also seems borderline immoral, because some of us have no choice but to give in to the system they provide.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

School pride ignites students

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Battle of hallways

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Spare change makes difference

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Finals week causes stress for students, staff members

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Festive movies bring holiday joy

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Giving warmth to those in need

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Final exam schedule is final

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Medieval Fun

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

Deciding between e-learning days, two-hour delays

• iPads redefine way students learn

School and Community

E-learning changes schooling

iPads redefine way students learn