iPads redefine way students learn

Senior+Isabel+Knipe+uses+her+iPad+to+do+research+for+a+project.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

iPads redefine way students learn

Senior Isabel Knipe uses her iPad to do research for a project.

Photo taken by Skylar Clark.

Photo taken by Skylar Clark.

Photo taken by Skylar Clark.

Skylar Clark, Editor-in-Chief

Now that students have iPads, computer labs are no longer a necessity.

“If all the labs aren’t out yet, they were initially going to be pulled out over the summer, but they will be. There won’t be any more computer labs in school,” said Media Specialist Gary Kilburn.

So what will become of the space previously used as computer labs?

“I have no idea. They may be reverted to classrooms, or they may be put to some other use,” said Kilburn.

Another space that is being updated is the media center, Kilburn said.

“Because we are becoming more digital, the requirements for the spaces (in the media center) are changing, so we have the craft area there, we have the robotics, STEM, we have the third printer that we just got. In the back, we have the green screen studio, which is part of media services, that makes use of student iPads, and on the other side, we have a 55 inch TV that hasn’t been installed yet, but it’s there. Once it gets installed, that will be an area for students to collaborate for projects. The group tables are for that, as well.”

Faculty and students agree: iPads have definitely had an impact on this school, especially the way we teach and learn.

Math teacher Christopher Kozy said, “In my Stats classes, the iPads are the primary way in which I disperse information, assign homework, give tests and quizzes, as well as projects and in class assignments. These classes are completely paper free.”

Students and teachers had mixed emotions about transitioning from using mostly paper to becoming more digital.

History teacher Scott Carlson said, “I have been one of the slower teachers to convert from paper to iPad assignments, but now that I’m getting more comfortable with it, I do appreciate it.”

“I personally hate technology. I’m not really good with it. I enjoy hard copies more,” said senior Faith Taylor.

Senior Christian Moore said, “I think it’s okay, for English classes or classes where you have to write papers. I think that’s fine, but for math classes, I definitely prefer to use paper over an electronic device. I think it just depends on the class.”

Kozy said, “I am all for it. Technology is more and more becoming part of our everyday lives. The school environment should be no different. With all of the programs, apps, and devices, teachers can make teaching more fun than ever before.”