Weil enacts policy to limit student aides

Back to Article
Back to Article

The guidance office is still allowed aides. Juniors Josh Rudloff and Natalie Tweedy help with extra tasks around the guidance office.

Sarah Liden

Sarah Liden

Sarah Liden

Skylar Clark and Sarah Liden, Editor-in-Chief, A & E Editor, Social Media Editor, Writers

Students planning to aide this year are in for a surprise. There will still be office aides and a few exceptions when it comes to teachers, but most teachers will not have aides in their classrooms. But why is this policy changing?

Principal Dr. Patrick Weil said, “We actually started it a couple years ago. [Over time] student aides were becoming too loosely monitored. Last year we took some beginning steps to restrict the number of aides. So, (the policy) is a continuation.”

Last year students were caught wandering the halls unsupervised while they were supposed to be aiding for teachers.

This was a major safety concern, Weil said. Students need to be supervised. As a result, teachers were given stricter guidelines for having student aides last year. They were only allowed one student aide per class period, with a few exceptions.

This year’s policy begs the question: Were there no improvements with the one aide per period rule from last year?

“Well, when we stepped back and evaluated it, we felt like there were some holes that we need to plug,” said Weil.

Weil said the main issue with student aides continues to be supervision.

If teachers are teaching a class, their attention is going to be on the class, and not on what the aide is doing.

Another issue with student aides was that they were not engaged.

“When I go to class to do my observations, it isn’t uncommon to see aides with their heads down,” Weil said. “If a student has a spot in their schedule, it needs to be filled with a class or they should be engaged in a study hall. They need to be engaged in something other than taking a nap.”

Teachers now need to fill out a form to request a student aide. Weil will then determine whether or not an aide is necessary.

“What we are working on is kind of a priority listing of activities, based on the activities that require student help. Student council, for example, they are very busy. The workload on the sponsor is tremendous year round. Sometimes they need the help of the officers to pull off the events they are involved with, so they have specific tasks. I prefer that much more than perhaps grading papers or making copies.”

Students and teachers had mixed emotions about this new policy.

“I kind of understand it, just because I do know that there are lots of teachers who kind of took student aides and didn’t really have a plan for what to do with them. It just kind of became, ‘Oh, I’m going to hang out in so and so’s room for an hour.’I do think that this will complicate things for people who truly use their aides. For foreign language, at least, I love to be able to have somebody who is older and is an example for the younger kids in classes, so that they can both hear from somebody who has more experience and see an example of someone who has been successful,” said Japanese teacher Joseph Rybarczyk.

Choir teacher David Markley said, “Having to justify why we want an aide is technically a new thing, but not something that I find burdensome. Understand, I have always had many, many student aides – up to 14 one year.  Last year I had six during 5th hour. I am okay with it and the administration has always approved it in the past. Now, I am not certain if Dr. Weil will allow more than one all day, let alone more than one in a period. There is where the concern is.”

Junior Hayden Greathouse said, “My freshman year I aided for Mr. Cotner. Sometimes he would have me grade tests and homework while he would teach lessons. I did things that he didn’t have time to do while teaching class. I applied to aide for Mr. Markley, and the only problem I’ve run into was not being able to aide for him yet, due to the form filling out process and whatnot.”

Junior Audrey Gregory said, “I’ve aided to Mr. Spoljaric in the middle school since my freshman year. I usually graded papers from a key, recorded grades in the gradebook, and sometimes I’d just pick up the room if the kids left it a mess. I think I made the workload easier because since he’s a history teacher, he assigns a lot of papers. Helping him grade made it easier to focus on the lesson plan. I plan on becoming an aide this year and I was a little worried that when I signed up I’d just be assigned to a random teacher.”

According to Weil, the new policy has decreased both the number of requests for aides and the number of aides per teacher.

Sarah Liden, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sarah Liden is a senior and a 3rd year staffer. She is also the Arts and Entertainment editor and runs the social media. After high school, she hopes to ...