Beating the heat: school edition

Temperatures vary from classroom to classroom, causing the school to never have a constant temperature.

Cassie Westfall

Cassie Westfall

Cassie Westfall, Creative Corner Assistant Editor, Social Media Manager, Writer

As summer draws closer, so does hotter temperatures. Our school tends to become hotter than outside temperatures, but each class varies. Here are some tips on how to deal with the temperature change within the school.

Stay Hydrated

Between class periods, make sure to refill water bottles or stop by the water fountains for a quick water break. Hydration will keep your body cool and toxins out.

Deodorize

Put deodorant on generously. You do not want to sweat excessively and smell bad. As the temperature rises outside, it also rises inside in classrooms. Think about the fact that you will be in a small, hot, and possibly musty room with around 30 people before you pour on a bottle of cologne/perfume.

Lighter layers

Since the school has installed the new heating and cooling systems, students have no idea what temperatures to prepare for. Layer yourself, but with light types of clothings such as jackets or cardigans that you could remove or put on throughout the day.

School appropriate shorts/skirts

Beat the heat in style by pulling out skirts, dresses, and shorts. Just make sure to check the length of the pants before coming to school or bring a backup pair.

Limit sugar/caffeine

As much as the student body enjoys their daily Kickstarts or snacks, these give the reverse effect when cooling your body down. You burn more calories and create more body heat from caffeine and sugar compared to water and fruit.

Discuss moving class outside

If your classroom is hot, you can ask your teacher if the idea is appealing to move class outside. Ask in advance though so they can plan a learning day outside. Fresh air, wind, and relaxation in the grass for students, what can be better?

Check the temperature and prepare for the worst

The night before or before you get ready in the morning, check the predicted temperature. This way, you can see the highs and lows of the day and dress accordingly. Always take in precaution that school air conditioning is not always on in all classes.

Put the style in hairstyle

You can immediately cool down (if you have shoulder length hair) by putting it up. If you know it is going to be a hot day, plan an updo or half up/half down style with your outfit. This way you can dress cute and not have to worry about overheating.

Ask to turn on the fan in class

Many teachers keep fans in their rooms, especially if it is a windowless classroom. Before getting up and turning it on, ask. More than likely your teacher will say yes and the class will be glad you did.

Fanning away the heat

Make a paper fan to use throughout the day and maybe offer one to your teachers as well. A fan is a great tool for cooling off. Do not do make them when you have actual class work, but do it between classes.