Students lack motivation

Many students would rather be outside than cooped up in a classroom.

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark, Assitant Editor-in-Chief, Writer

As the school year winds down, students are finding it harder and harder to finish their work, but why is this?

Junior Thomas Petersen said, “It’s just getting warmer outside. I don’t really want to be in school. I want to be outside in the warmth.”

“It’s because I can practically feel summer, but I have so many tests and there’s so much left to do. The past ten months of work are finally catching up to me. The more I think about taking the SAT and ACT,  AP tests, and regular finals, the less I want to work,” said Junior Sierra Laviolette.

Many students have their hearts set on summer vacation. As temperatures start to rise, it feels like it is actually summer which makes students more reluctant to get their work done. Sadly it is not summer yet. There is still work that needs to be done such as AP tests, finals, and homework. Here are some tips on staying motivated so that you can finish out the school year strong.

Social studies teacher Jordan Heckard said, “Seniors have the opportunity to be exempt from finals, so depending on how they do with their grades that is something for them to work for.”

During the second semester of the school year, seniors can get out of taking their finals.

According to the student handbook, “At least eight points are required to be exempted from an exam period.”

You receive points for both your second semester grades. A’s are four points, and it goes down from there.

The student handbook reads that “A student must have a minimum of B, B to be eligible; a C, D or an F for a nine-week grade automatically makes a senior ineligible.”

Another way that seniors can gain points is through attendance. Zero absences second semester is one point and no absences for the entire year is two points. Any senior who is truant or suspended, however, at any point during their senior year is ineligible. Giving seniors the opportunity to be exempt from finals encourages them to try their hardest as the school year draws to a close.

While this a great motivator for seniors, the rest of the school still needs to work on preparing for their final exams.

“Make a schedule to realize when your finals are and actually sit down and try to study,” said Junior Isabel Knipe.

Having a schedule gives you a plan, and with a plan you are more likely to stay focused. This is because you can see what you need to accomplish such as studying for tests and getting homework done. You can also use your schedule to pencil in downtime for relaxing.

Even though it may be hard to stay invested in school right now, students need to know that the school year is not over yet and there is still work that needs to be done.

“In life, if you just continue trying you will succeed. The only way to guarantee that you are going to fail is just to stop trying, so please don’t stop trying. Continue working and the school year will end successfully,” said science teacher Margaret Jensen.