Cheering for cheer season to start

New+cheer+coach+Kelly+Cundiff+goes+over+the+rubric+for+tryouts%2C+the+upcoming+season%2C+and+what+is+to+be+expected.+
New cheer coach Kelly Cundiff goes over the rubric for tryouts, the upcoming season, and what is to be expected.

D’Jesenia Torres

D’Jesenia Torres

D’Jesenia Torres, Writer

Cheer season is approaching, and this year is going to be different with a new coach. Last season, Morgan Ferguson was appointed the new head coach, but will not be returning. Alyssa Holloway, the coach before Ferguson, plans on returning to Highland High School in the next five years, but new coach Kelly Cundiff will be coaching in the meantime.

There was a brief meeting after school on May 10 to discuss what is to be expected during tryouts and during the whole season.

“I hope this season is a rebuild year. What I mean when I say a rebuild year is to strengthen our basics, as well as the relationship between cheerleader to cheerleader and cheerleader to coach. This will help strengthen trust, communication, and our skills will quickly follow,” said Cundiff.

Cundiff is not a new face to Highland athletics or the school. She graduated from HHS and was a cheerleader. Her experience in this sport has taught her many things that she hopes to share with the team this season.

“When I was a cheerleader at Highland High School, I learned the importance of working together and communicating. Not only did that make for a successful team, it prepared me for working together as a team in a professional environment,” said Cundiff.

Coming back to a familiar environment is very welcoming for Cundiff.

“I’ve decided to come back to Highland because I want to give back to the town that I’ve started at,” said Cundiff. “I’ve lived in Highland since I was nine months old and graduated from HHS. I believe in giving back to the community that made me the person I am today. The fact that I’ve trained 90% of the girls who are currently on the team makes it a little inviting as well. I love to see how far these girls, and this sport, have grown.”

Cundiff is not a newbie to coaching a team. She has coached through Highland Pop Warner for seven years, Munster Pop Warner for one year, and Indiana Elite Gymnastics for one year, as well as being a cheerleader herself for 13 years.

The tryout for the cheer season starts May 14 through May 18. The season will be starting very soon and the cheerleaders are ready to work, as well as being eager to get to know the new coach.

D’Jesenia Torres, Writer

D’Jesenia Torres is a senior this year and this will be her third year as a staffer. She is not participating in any sport this year so she wants to...