Reviving the French Revolution in Highland

Through hours of set construction, the most complex set in HTC history was made.

Cassie Westfall

Cassie Westfall

Anna Brown

Cassie Westfall, Assistant Creative Corner Editor, Social Media Manager, Writer

On May 4, 5, and 6 the Highland Theatre Company will be performing Les Misérables with a cast of 51 students.

The show is about a runaway convict Jean Val Jean (played by Senior Chris Peters) and his journey with his adopted daughter Cosette (played by sophomore Erin Perry) during the revival of the French Revolution. The show features a diverse group of characters.

To be able to perform Les Mis, the cast (besides leads) had to play multiple roles resulting in multiple costume changes.

“Working with a big cast has its easy moments and it’s hard moments. With a big cast, you can get such a better sound when you’re performing; however, it can be hard to get everyone listening and in the right spot and ready to perform” said junior Megan Herron.

The show includes characters such as the Thénardiers, who brings comic relief to the dark moments of the show. Sophomore Kayleigh Ferguson, who plays Madame Thénardier in the show, thinks that although having a huge cast has its ups and downs, in the end you meet people who you would not have connected with otherwise.

Ferguson believes her first entrance into the show is the hardest part of her performance.

“The song ‘Castle on a Cloud’ is very tricky, lyric wise. I have to be very angry and that song just continues into the rest of my scenes,” said Ferguson.

For first time performers, such as sophomore Chris Amador, mixing acting and singing along with connecting to your character may be the hardest part of the production.

“There were (reservations) at first because I struggled a lot with the music, and throwing the acting in was also a struggle,” said Amador.

Herron believes there is one particular scene that is all around tricky.

Herron said, “I feel like the hardest scene is ‘One Day More.’ This scene has a lot of footwork and timing things that the cast needs to work with. Also the pit (orchestra) has to keep the music in time.”

Ferguson has faith that the shows will go well because “the show is hard work and we’re all hard workers.”

Tech week consists of cast and crew members working together to create both perfect scenes and songs.

“I feel like this show is gonna go really well. There have been a few transition problems and prop problems that we have seen occurring now during tech week. But these are just things that we figure out during tech week,” said Herron.

There were many improvements done, but the play was not bad to begin with.

“My favorite part was definitely getting to learn how to act as hard as it was at first it soon became exhilarating and I’m so glad my friends convinced me to audition. It’s been a great time and a privilege getting to part of this production,” said Amador.