How teachers can connect with students

Back to Article
Back to Article

How teachers can connect with students

It can be difficult for certain teachers to connect with their students, but do all teachers want to establish a connection with their students?

pixlar.com

pixlar.com

pixlar.com

Sarah Liden, Creative Corner Editor, Writer

Having a bond with students is not the first thing that you would think of as a teachers’ top priority, but it may be vital to a student’s mental health. In many instances, a student may be having personal issues, so they are too stressed out to focus on anything else. If these students are struggling with balancing out school, home life, and possible extracurricular activities, they may easily get too distracted to give their full attention to their schoolwork which could affect their grades.

Math teacher Christopher Tomcsi said, “In the past I’ve had students come to me about personal issues.”

Wrestling coach Christopher Kirincic said, “If a student comes to me with a personal issue, I clearly have built up a relationship with that student to where they feel comfortable coming to me with that issue.”

Students should not feel trapped in a constant state of depression because they have no one to turn to. On the other hand, students may feel afraid that if they go to a teacher, the teacher may need to alert the authorities.

“Based on what they come to me with and what the nature of the issue is, I, as a teacher, am required to report it, especially if the student is in danger,” Kirincic said.

In some circumstances, students do not feel comfortable enough with their teachers.

Sophomore Hayden Greathouse said, “Not only is there an age difference, but it’s also kind of awkward to talk to teachers about that type of stuff. Sometimes I feel like if a student and a teacher have a connection, from the outside it can be taken the wrong way.”

Sarah Liden, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sarah Liden is a senior and a 3rd year staffer. She is also the Arts and Entertainment editor and runs the social media. After high school, she hopes to ...