Students juggle the world on their shoulders

Athletic teams, such as dance, go all over the state to compete, which also affects clubs and work schedules.

Brittany Nichols

Cassie Westfall, Social Media Manager

Imagine that the after school bell rang and you are ready to go home to watch some TV. You then realize you still have a club meeting to attend and a five hour shift at work, causing you to not be home till 10, maybe 11 o’clock. You still have homework and tests to study for so sleeping is pushed back for many hours.

Around the age of 16, boys and girls begin to do their own thing. Between jobs, clubs, sports and social life, there are very few hours in the day for anything else. In today’s world, more and more teenagers have began to have jobs and attend extracurriculars. I work three days a week then have a choir rehearsal every Tuesday and Thursday for our upcoming Disney trip. I have to move my work hours to fit my schedule for clubs.

Many students have to do three to four things everyday. A typicalTthursday is me waking up to go to school, going to choir practice until four, then driving home to get ready for work at five. This does not even include time for homework, showering, or anything else I need to do.

Many students have the idea that if they are not involved in school activities, they will not be able to go to college. Students take this to heart and get involved in all that they can, but is this healthy for students to be so busy everyday that they are not able to come home at a decent time?

Although extracurriculars may look good on a college application, so do good grades. It is hard to balance school and work, let alone clubs, homework, and social life. I believe that students are spreading themselves too thin and it shows in school work. After work, I don’t even want to stay up and do homework. I just end up falling asleep and pushing the homework to do the next morning.

Kids work for many different reasons, but on top of extracurriculars, working is harming the kids more than helping. Students get less sleep, less time to themselves, and put less effort into schoolwork. In order to make the most of extracurriculars and working at a young age, time management is key to being a lot less stressed.