Money makes the world go ‘round

Back to Article
Back to Article

Money makes the world go ‘round

Teens often have jobs to save up for college, or just to have money for themselves.

Provided By: flickr

Provided By: flickr

Provided By: flickr

Sarah Liden, Writer

Jobs among teens have become increasingly more popular over the past decade. There are multiple reasons why a student may choose to add a job to an ever-growing list of responsibilities, and it can become increasingly hard to handle the stress. Students may often find it difficult to balance schoolwork and a job, with the possibile extracurricular activity. In a study done by Citigroup, nearly 80 percent of high school students in 2013 had part time jobs. Many students find that the main reason to have a job in high school is for practical reasons, such as the need to support their family, support themselves, or to just have a little more cash to their name.

There are a multitude of reasons why students need jobs. Junior Henry Smith says, “I like money, but I also want to put this on my resume for the future.”

Junior Delia Curtis says, “I work mainly because I have my own car, so I need to pay off my car payment, and also just to spend time doing something more responsible.”

Teen jobs have been a tricky subject to talk about. It has been debated back and forth whether or not teens should have jobs in high school, since it can take up multiple hours in a week.

“I work 25 to 30 hours per week generally,” senior Liam Curran says.

This can obviously affect a student’s work ethic.

“It depends. In general I would say it’s no different than having an athlete in class. In that sense, it goes back to students that are overall good students, sometimes they need it, and actually force themselves to do their school-work. So some students do better, or some do worse,” says math teacher Christopher Tomsci.

Teachers have often debated on whether or not it is worth it for students in high school to have jobs. Since it takes up so much of the students time, it can possibly lead to bad grades for the student.

“Sadly, I think they do worse. I constantly have them coming to me and saying they couldn’t finish an assignment because they didn’t get off work until 10 pm,” English teacher Jodi Olah says.

Students tend to agree with this.

Junior Sydney Flick says, “My work hours take a lot of my school time away.”

Moreover; teens generally have jobs for a multitude of reasons. Whether that be bringing home extra finances or to just to have a more responsible after school activity. Teens can often find themselves struggling to balance school and a job, but it is up to them to figure out what is more of a priority.

About the Writer
Sarah Liden, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sarah Liden is a senior and a 3rd year staffer. She is also the Arts and Entertainment editor and runs the social media. After high school, she hopes to ...