Students walk away from unjust safety

Mikaela Lefrak/WAMU

Students nationwide have been protesting the harsh gun violence in school with posters, walkouts, and parades.

Cassie Westfall, Social Media Manager, Writer

In light of the recent school shooting, the argument on gun safety and gun laws have become talked about at large. Many United States citizens want our laws on guns to become stricter so they are more difficult to obtain.

The reaction to the Florida shooting had been that many students have decided to take charge against gun violence. Students around the nation have planned two peaceful protests to take place. The National School Walkout will take place on March 14th across our country. On this day, students and staff will peacefully leave class at 10 am and sit in front of their school for 17 minutes to protest gun violence in schools. The goal of this protest is to pressure the Senate and the House of Representatives to make a change towards gun laws.

Some groups of students at HHS are planning to participate in in this protest, but are worried about the consequences. Ditching class during school will give students truancies and lead to detentions, but is that how our school will deal with a peaceful protest?

Students such as junior Amira Zahabi hopes to participate, but will not if students will get in trouble.

Other such as junior Delia Curtis think the walk is a great idea, even if it means receiving a consequence.

“I would like to participate in the walk out, if it does happen, because I think it’s important for the students to stand up for what they believe in. If students feel that walking out to take a stand about the violence in schools will make a change, then they have a right to. It’s important to make some kind of change with all of the recent events because students have a right to feel safe at school,” said Curtis.

The goal of the National Walk Out is to make a change involving gun restrictions and violence in schools.

Zahabi said, “I would hope that they will make a change or have enough people to (force) change, but realistically it will fly over their heads just like the 17 school shootings this year. I don’t know how a walk out will change this if a shooting will not.”

This push towards a change can either be a huge step towards safety or a step even further back.

Senior Emma Schiller said, “I hope the (government) would be proud of their young people for standing together like this, but I think they might think that kids are just doing it to get out of school.”

Zahabi said, “It affects us the most unlike the Senate and House, so using our voice is powerful.”

U.S. History teacher David Bedka discussed with his classes how student activism is always your own choice, but he is unsure if there will or will not be any disciplinary actions taken for those who participate.

Bedka said, “The sad thing is that many students won’t walk out for the right reasons.”

Another protest against gun violence in school is planned for March 24th and is called “March for Our Lives.” This event is scarce in details, but is known to be a march to be taken place in large U.S. cities.