Parking violations raises eyebrows: students question if violations were distributed fairly

The parking violations given were printed on bright, pink paper, making it very noticeable to the owner of the vehicle.

Betty Huang

Betty Huang

Betty Huang, Editor-in-Chief, Writer

On Tuesday, February 6th, pink warning slips were given to students who violated parking regulations. Assistant principal Justin Fronek advised students over the intercom to not park in staff lots and to have a parking pass visible in their windshield.

Fronek said parking violation slips are given for multiple reasons. Students may receive one for parking in a staff parking lot, for not displaying a student parking tag, failing to park in the student’s assigned space, or for parking improperly (in a no parking area or outside the lines for the space).

Students were wondering, why were these parking violations given so suddenly.

Fronek said, “We have a number of students that are parking in the lot that do not have parking permits, and a number of students that are parking in the middle school and high school faculty/staff parking lots, as opposed to their student spots.”

The warning slips were issued “as warnings, just to make sure people were realizing that (administration) is keeping an eye on things, and if they are not following proper procedures, we’re going to follow through with procedures on our end to make sure that people are parking where they’re supposed to,” Fronek said.

It is unclear how many warning tickets were issued or how many students reported to the office, as the tickets directed them to do.

After the first warning ticket, the consequences for repeat offenders varies, Fronek said. Consequences can range from a detention to the car being towed or parking privileges being revoked.

Some students think that towing cars after a second violation is too extreme.

Junior Anthony Mako said, “As far as people starting to get towed, as they said was going to happen, I think that’s dumb because they’re wasting their money on renting tow trucks, when they could be spending it on the students and their education.”

Fronek sais he is not aware of anyone’s car being towed since he began working at Highland High School.

Students are concerned about the visibility of their parking space during inclement weather, which could result in a parking violation.

“There’s no doubt that in weather such as this, it’s difficult to find the exact number (of the parking space). Most students should know roughly where their parking spot is. (In poor weather) we are certainly not going to be in the business of issuing a detention if someone is close to their parking spot,” Fronek said. “I can deal with people not quite in the exact spot, especially in this type of weather. But if they’re not supposed to be in the lot, period, that’s where we’ll have issues.”

“Personally, I liked (the distributing of parking violation warnings) because someone was in my spot,” said senior Rick Ruiz. “If you’re taking a spot that’s not yours without permission, I would say give them as many violations as you want.”

“The goal isn’t to go out and issue a bunch of detentions; it’s just to make sure people understand where they’re supposed to park and get back to doing so properly,” said Fronek.

If students have a parking pass and park in assigned parking spots, they should be in the clear and need not worry.