Snow brings school dilemmas

Snow has already started to cover everything, making it especially difficult for drivers everyday.

Erica Addington

Erica Addington

Erica Addington, Writer

Indiana weather – it could feel like spring one day and then be in the negatives the next. 2018 has been no exception to that so far, especially this week. There has been extreme weather with snow and degrees in the negatives, and this plays a big part in people’s lives, such as school. Delays or cancellations have been discussed all week by both teachers and students, and now there is confirmation that school is cancelled on Friday due to several inches of snow being predicted.

Snow days are always a concern for the Highland School Board every winter. As easy as it may sound to cancel school, it is a long process for people like our superintendent Brian Smith who personally goes out himself early in the morning to check the roads before making a decision on whether or not school should be delayed or canceled.

On top of Smith’s own personal precautions, he also makes sure to consult others. He speaks to our public works of Highland, the surrounding communities’ superintendents, and also occasionally consults the police department to check for the major roads if need be.

“Safety is always the biggest issue, so we look at timing of the snow. Do we have time to get our lots cleaned up and do we have time to get the main roads in our school district cleaned up?” Smith said.

This played a big part in the concern for Friday’s school day because, unlike the other days this week, the snow is not predicted to stop and give enough time to our town and school’s members to make sure the roads are safe to be on.

With Highland being a smaller town, it is easier for administrators to make sure that students can get to school safely and timely, but sometimes it can be more difficult for teachers. Snowy days can often call for a lot of substitute teachers since many teachers are from neighboring towns. This can also become a big factor when determining delays.

Spanish teacher Elsa Kluga has experienced some dilemmas with getting to school due to the weather. On a good day it takes Kluga 15 to 20 minutes to get here, but on one of our recent icy days it took her almost an hour to get to school.She said that once arriving to Highland’s area she actually felt a lot safer about driving due to them doing a good job at clearing the roads.  

“I personally would love having a snow day only because I have a little one and if he’s called off then I have to make sure that he’s taken care of, and it just feels a little safer to not have to drive the roads with this weather,” Kluga said.

Highland has been known to be very select with when to call for a snow day, with a big part of that being that it will almost always have to be made up. State law requires students to have 180 school days, and in order to get a waiver (exemption) for a snow day, you have to petition to the state and the snow day is almost never granted, which ultimately means that day will either have to be made up during one of our breaks or at the end of the year.

School is officially cancelled tomorrow for the safety of the student body and staff. The date that it will be made up is still unknown.