Students aides lend a helping hand

Student aides (pictured left to right) senior Luke Wasowicz, junior Kennedy Vernengo, and senior Maya Dziepak for David Markley help him with the excess amount of work needed to be completed.

Sarah Liden

Sarah Liden

Sarah Liden, Writer

At the start of the 2017-2018 school year, a rule was put in place stating that all teachers are allowed one student aide per class period. This rule, since it became official this past August, has not gone over well with students.

Senior Hubble Salgado said, “I aide for Mr. Domasica and there’s a lot of work we have to do that requires a lot of help, like taking down sets and building sets. Sometimes one person isn’t enough.”

Junior Arif Pitts believes the argument can go either way. “From the standpoint of a student, no. But it really depends on who you’re asking,” says Pitts.

From a teacher’s standpoint, having student aides is extremely helpful.

“I agree with (the aide limit) in principle, especially because we had so many situations where there were a lot of aides in a given class who weren’t being supervised in any way, so I understand why it had to be put in place,” Japanese teacher Joe Rybarczyk says.

The main reason we have an aide limit comes down to slowing down unnecessary traffic in the hallways, especially while classes are in session.

“Teachers already have upwards of thirty kids in their classes. The more students there are in a classroom the harder it becomes for teachers to monitor students,” Vice Principal Andrew Locke says.

Previously, however, there was not a limit on how many aides a teacher could accumulate over the year.

“At the end of each year, we sit down as an administrative team and we talk about some of the things we would like to address as we move forward. This was just one of those things we noted,” Locke says.

The lack of structure around the student aide process led to many incidents of students wandering the halls and disrupting other classes. Before the stricter guidelines were put in place, students would only have to ask the teacher if they could aide for them. Now, the process consists of the teacher filling out an aide request form, which is then turned into administration where the student is determined to be responsible enough to become a student aide.