Shopping through the web

Retail stores have an average retail of 80 billion a year whereas Amazon was expected to double that in 2017.

Bloomberg Finance LP,DB Global Markets Research

Cassie Westfall, Social Media Manager, Editor

Gifts and shopping go hand in hand. In recent years, shopping has transferred to online stores. Many people pre-order gifts through Amazon or store websites to get their gifts bought and delivered, opposed to going to the store and shopping for presents in person.

Convenience is a big part of online shopping since you can do it anywhere, anytime.

Freshman Luke Rhoades said, “At home, online, I can be in the bathroom and get all my stuff done.”

Around 70 percent of shoppers believe they will get a better deal online instead of in store.

Preferring in-store shopping, freshman Michael Medina said, “Online you might not be able to get it that day, or if your size isn’t there you can try it on at the store.”

Many brick and mortar stores have transferred to online order and in-store pick-up for many items.

Arrival date becomes a big factor when it comes to special occasions. Delivery can take anywhere from two to seven days, or maybe even far as a few weeks. With the high demand, stock runs out quickly and delivery may be paused until the item is restocked.

“Many people might not want to go out so the (delivery) day gets stunted (from so many orders),” said Medina.

Rhoades disagreed with this, saying that Amazon Prime members will get you quick delivery, especially for presents. Certain companies have faster and safer shipping such as Amazon.

Junior Madelyn Smigla said, “Online shopping is definitely easier. You can find almost anything online but it may be more expensive because of shipping.”

In store you just pay for the price of the item and get it once you buy it. Online, you pay for shipping and handling, then wait for the delivery. Although online shopping is very convenient and quicker than in store shopping.In store shopping still has its perks.