They scurry among us

This is the inside of one of the glue traps that our school uses to catch mice.

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark

Skylar Clark, Assitant Editor-in-Chief, Writer

These furry little creatures have walked among us, scurrying through the hallways right under our noses. Some have even gone as far to make this place their home. Not sure what is being referenced? Well – in a word, mice. There have been mice at this school for awhile now, but there was rumored to have been an increase of them due to construction.

When asked about this, head custodian Matt Topp said, “It’s a possibility. The thing is though mice are going to find there way in pretty much no matter what. The construction can add to the movement of the mice, but normally in the winter time, depending on temperature, they’ll find a way in somehow.”

This year, the rodents have not been a major issue for many of the teachers who usually have had to deal with them in the past.

Introduction to Culinary Arts and Advanced Nutrition & Wellness teacher Shana Janes said, “I’ve only seen one mouse this year, so it really hasn’t been an issue.”

However, the school still takes precautions to ward off mice by setting up glue traps where they are needed or requested by teachers. Anderson Pest Control checks the traps monthly for our school. When the mice are caught, the custodians dispose of them into the garbage because once the mice are on the trap they are stuck there and can not be freed.

Even though the school has traps set up there are still other things that can be done to deter the mice.

Topp said, “We try to tell teachers the best thing they can do is not eat in the classroom because that will contribute to the mice problem. The other thing is if they do, make sure everything is locked up or put in cabinets.”

So the next time you are in the hallway be sure to keep your eyes peeled – you might just see a furry-legged creature scurrying by.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “They scurry among us”

1. Barry on December 5th, 2017 3:50 pm

Glue traps are disgustingly cruel, they disfigure themselves and chew their own legs off yet you’re telling us that they throw them in the garbage, alive? If you can’t get a mouse of a glue trap (which you actually can with vegetable oil), you need to put the animal out of its misery as it’ll be suffering otherwise it takes days to die, slowly and painfully.

Find a better, more humane solution please. Torturing animals should not be in a classroom full of kids.

[Reply]

2. Jenna on December 5th, 2017 4:09 pm

I don’t think people realise how cruel these things are. Here’s a vet association’s take on glue traps, I recommend everyone who uses these things give it a good read (the HSI report they source is particularly revealing):

https://www.bva.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Content/News,_campaigns_and_policies/Policies/Ethics_and_welfare/rodent-glue-traps-policy.pdf

Please seek alternate methods of control, glue traps are highly controversial and are banned in many countries.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Stealing from the man

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Highland high school helping students that are struggling with new technology

• They scurry among us

School and Community

eSports Club Contemplate new ways for promotion

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Good run for coach Grider

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Highland releases students early while other schools start late

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Turnabout brings excitement to students as it nears

• They scurry among us

School and Community

SAGA club restarts, reaches out to students

• They scurry among us

School and Community

What it’s like to be a part of theatre: cast, crew, director

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Teachers learn new technology strategies to further education

• They scurry among us

School and Community

Transgender equality evolving through the ages

They scurry among us