Seniors take a stand for a seat

The “Senior Bench,” located right outside of the lunch room, being occupied by seniors during B lunch. Photo taken by Betty Huang.

Betty Huang, Writer, Editor-in-Chief

The “Senior Bench” tradition sparked conflict last week when underclassmen attempted to sit on the bench, and several seniors flipped the bench with students on it. Over the past two weeks, seniors have become increasingly “territorial” of the bench, which is located right outside of the lunch room.

Other schools have senior traditions that are carried out without incident. Some schools have a certain entrance that only seniors can walk through, while others share our tradition of senior ditch day. Highland began the “Senior Walk” tradition, where seniors don their gowns and parade through their elementary schools.

There has never been a problem before this year with the senior traditions here. This year there was an altercation that dealt more with a problem of respect than anything else, according to Patrick Weill, principal. Seniors this year took it to the next level by threatening underclassmen to stop them from sitting on the bench.

Senior traditions are obviously very important to some; so important that they take it to the next level and threaten, bully, or hurt underclassmen if they break the “senior only” rule; is this crossing the line? Is a tradition really enough to ruin your good reputation and potentially get in trouble? It is important to uphold traditions, but taking it that far is not okay. Just because a senior has a privilege to sit at a certain bench or go through a certain entrance does not mean that they have power over everyone. If they push too hard, they should be reprimanded accordingly. These seniors are young adults who should know better than to take such violent and immature action.

It is also important to remember that school is an environment where you have to be respectful towards everyone. It does not do anybody good by being disrespectful and causing trouble for not just someone else, but for you as well.

The senior only bench has been silently enforced by previous senior classes during lunch only. This year, seniors have been preventing underclassmen from sitting on the bench, not only at lunch, but for the whole school day, by filling every space on the bench during passing periods. This presents a problem for clubs and/or sports teams that meet at that bench.

What are your thoughts about Highland’s “Senior Bench” tradition? Share your views by commenting below.