VMAs 2017: a recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

VMAs 2017: a recap

VMA host, Katy Perry poses as one of MTV’s “Moon Men.

VMA host, Katy Perry poses as one of MTV’s “Moon Men." Photo curtesy of deadline.com.

Sarah Liden, Writer

The 34th annual MTV VMAs was broadcasted across the nation Sunday evening, awarding some of pop culture’s best the infamous “Moonman” award. Some familiar faces were awarded the trophies, such as Ed Sheeran, who was awarded the “Artist of the Year” title. Other victors included P!nk, who was awarded the “Michael Jackson Video Vanguard” Award.

“I love P!nk, she’s an amazing artist, but I was mostly waiting to hear who won ‘Artist of the Year.’ I was thrilled to hear that Ed Sheeran won. He’s one of my favorite artists,” said junior Megan Herron. Many people were shocked to find that Ed Sheeran had claimed the title over the various other artists running against him.

“The award for ‘Artist of the Year’ was definitely the one I was was waiting for. I was really hoping that Ariana Grande or Kendrick Lamar would win, since they’ve both had such an amazing year,” senior Alex Traina said.

There has even been speculation that the ‘Artist of the Year’ category was rigged.

“Personally, I think that it may have been rigged. Ed Sheeran is a great artist, but I don’t think he has a strong fanbase compared to someone like Kendrick Lamar or The Weeknd,” Traina added.

Whether they were rigged or not, anyone will agree that Logic, Alessia Cara, and Khalid’s performance of “1-800-273-8255” was incredibly powerful.

“Logic really stood out to me, his speech at the end was amazing!” Herron said.

Senior Liam Curran agrees. When asked who he was looking forward to seeing, he said, “Logic for sure. I’m not a huge fan of his music, but he really stood out because his performance was very personal.” The award show has been said to be the most dramatic this year, with Fifth Harmony supposedly bashing ex-band member Camila Cabello in their performance of “Down” and “Angel” by having a 5th “member” on stage, only to be thrown off as soon as the performance began. Not only this, but Taylor Swift released the video for her new song “Look What You Made Me Do” which is said to shade many of her enemies, including Katy Perry and Kanye West.

Perhaps the most unbelievable occurrence, though, was during Chester Bennington’s memorial. Jared Leto asked the crowd to stand and take a few seconds to pay tribute. This was immediately interrupted by a commercial.

“Chester’s memorial interruption was a slap in the face to not only his fans, but to anyone who has experienced suicidal thoughts or depression. It was basically confirming a thought that anyone with depression has experienced, that thought being ‘am I worth remembering?’ Apparently to the VMAs, you aren’t,” senior Dylan Root said.

Whether you agree with this year’s victors or not, I am sure we all can agree that this year’s MTV VMAs was not one to forget.

Sarah Liden, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sarah Liden is a senior and a 3rd year staffer. She is also the Arts and Entertainment editor and runs the social media. After high school, she hopes to ...