HHS Acts on Drunk Driving

Molly Arroyo

(Photo provided by The Brittany Nation Foundation Against Drunk Driving)

Trevor Smith grew up in a loving home. His parents were divorced ,but that didn’t stop the amount of love floating throughout the family. He loved his mother very much and would do anything to protect her. Smith was the first person to step up when anything was needed. He would also be the first person willing to stay up and help someone cope with his or her problems.

Smith was also very opinionated, he had his own beliefs about everything; college, religion, you name it. He could debate for days on what was wrong and what was right. If Smith was proven wrong, he had no problem accepting it. That was one of the many reasons why everyone admired and adored Smith.

On September 23rd, 2013, Smith was driving back home from a college visit at Purdue West Lafayette. It was his last visit before he would sign the enrollment papers for the following semester. About half-way home,  Smith was hit. He lost control and was ejected from the car. As the police arrived on scene, Smith’s friend, who was along for the ride, was rushed to the hospital. Smith was no where to be found. About fifity feet away from the car the police found Smith’s body. It was later determined that Smith had removed his seatbelt so he was able to position his body so no harm would be done to his friend.  The driver that hit them was drunk who fled the scene.  An innocent man was killed because the actions made by someone under the influence.

What would you do if this actually happened to someone you knew and loved.  Imagine if this was your best friend, your brother, cousin, or even your son.  How would you feel knowing everyday you will never be able to see him again. How would you feel if you knew this he would still bring smiles to everyone, if that one person made the right choice to stay home, instead of drinking and driving. People lose a loved one almost every single day because of the poor decision the drivers make by drinking and driving.

Highland High School’s only awareness to drinking and driving are the very minimal amout of classes which include Substance Abuse, Physical Education, and Health. “Sometimes before Prom the school does a presentaion to aware the students about the risks of drinking and driving”, said Assiatant Principal, William Madura. “Drunk Driving is not a very big deal at Highland. Arrest is seldom. It is important to remind the students, but my students know not to drink and drive,”  said Madura.

Sergeant Michael O’Donnell said the Highland Police Department is paid over time, or time in a half, to  specifically search for drunk drivers. Other than New Years Eve, Black Wednesday  is the busiest day for the drunk drivers search. “It is the busiest bar day of the year. It’s that time where all the college kids come home and go out to party,” said Sgt. O’Donnell. There were no arrests this past Black Wednesday in which involved any Highland High School’s students and drunk driving.

-Krista Baker